Triathlete & Senior Sales Representative
Garry boosted his career in 2009 when he kicked his 30 cigarette-a-day smoking habit. From then on he completely revamped his lifestyle for the better, just in time for the birth of his daughter Freya. He used running as his main form of exercise. As running slowly got easier he started running farther and farther. When Garry’s friends signed up for Liverpool Triathlon he was tempted to try one and the rest is history. He currently spends around 12 hours per week training for upcoming events. Some days he can even be found doing double sessions fitted in around his travelling sales rep role throughout the North England and Scotland and family duties with his two children Arlo and Freya.
This year Garry’s main focus will be the British Duathlon Championships in Bedford, Sprint Triathlon Championships in the North East and Standard Triathlon Championships in Leeds, along with the European Sprint Triathlon Championships, Sprinting in Glasgow, and European Duathlon Championships in Ibiza in October as well as aiming to qualify for the 2019 World Championships in Lausanne, Switzerland, racing in the 40-44 age category. He’s also set to race 2019 qualifiers for standard and sprint among other British and National championship events, already qualifying for the European Standard Duathlon Championships following his first race of the season.
Occupation: Senior Sales Representative in the medical industry covering the North of England and Scotland.
Sport: Triathlon and Duathlon
Pre-race Ritual: No ritual, just follow the race plan and don’t stray from it. Once dubbed a no nonsense brand of racing.
Favourite Cheat Food: Anything and everything with Curry, and Jellies.
Favourite Form of Cross Training: Sunday morning trail runs with the Coalfields Race Team
2017 Kitzbuhel Austria, European Standard Triathlon Championships 20th
2017 Düsseldorf Germany, European Sprint Triathlon Champions 7th
2017 Rotterdam Holland, World Standard Triathlon Championships 36th
2017 Bedford Standard Duathlon British National Championships 3rd
2016 Leeds castle - English National Champs 12th OA 1st ag (National Champion)
2016 Lisbon Portugal ETU Sprint euro Triathlon champs - 10th
2016 Kalkar, Germany ETU Standard euro Duathlon champs - 9th
- Finished 1st place overall London Triathlon (2015)
- European Standard Duathlon Championships (2015) - Alcobendas/Madrid, Spain
- European Middle Distance Championships in Mallorca (2014)
- 1st Place Team Member Triathlon England Sprint Relays Champs mixed team (2014) - Nottingham
- Team Erdinger Alkoholfrei European Sprint Triathlon Championships (2014) - Kitzbuhel, Austria
3rd Place at British Age Group Sprint Triathlon (2014) - Eaton Dornay
- European Sprint Duathlon Championships (2014) - Horst, Holland
- 4th European Age Group Sprint Triathlon (2013) - Alanya, Turkey
- World Sprint Triathlon Championships (2013) - Hyde Park, London
- 1st Place at the British Age Group Sprint Triathlon (2013) - Nottingham
- London Olympic Torch Bearer (2012)
- 1ST Place at the European Age Group Sprint Triathlon (2012) - Eilat, Israel